Saturday, February 28, 2009

Molecular Gastronomy

What do you think of when you hear those words? Do you think of science? Chemicals? Dishes that are unfamiliar? Dishes that aren't satisfying? I started thinking about molecular gastronomy recently when I was reading this post on Laurent Gras' blog (I LOVE the photography on the site!)

Me? I love it. I love seeing what different and new things people are creating and inventing. Yes, it's a fine mix of food and science. But it's also pushing the envelope. And making people rethink their way of seeing food.

Is it food I create at home? No. I wouldn’t even know where to begin! Is it food I crave? No, not really.

When it comes to eating, I personally prefer a much more rustic approach. I prefer simple foods. Food that my mom made. Comfort food.

But I am fascinated by molecular gastronomy. And I love trying new things, seeing new techniques, and I totally have an appreciation of the science of it all. Hence my interest in (and slight obsession with) Ferran Adria and Heston Blumenthal.

One of these days, I will go to El Bulli and the Fat Duck. Hopefully it'll be with someone that has an equal appreciation for that type of food. But my dream dining partner at El Bulli or Fat Duck? Someone that will go crazy over the food and experience...but that is just as happy slurping up a bowl of noodles the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment