Thursday, July 24, 2008

Tyson's Wisdom

My friend Tyson once told me "I fall in love just a little bit each day." I’ve thought about this for a long time. And I don't even know if Tyson remembers saying that to me, or if he realizes the power those words have had on me since.

At the time, I don't think I thought much about it. In fact, you might even say I was in a little bit of a ‘bitter mentality’, so this was definitely not a concept I was open to hearing. Fall in love? Ha! Each day? No way. Frankly, I thought he was a little crazy, and exaggerating a little bit. What did he mean? Those of you that know Tyson, know that this was the truth and he meant it from his heart. He truly did fall in love a little bit each day.

We were at a Movie Night in Dolores Park. I vividly recall sitting on the picnic blanket, holding my burrito, and listening to Tyson explain what he meant by this. He basically said, each and every day, he found something about someone that made him appreciate them. I even remember him smiling a little bit, and telling me about the girl that he had ‘fallen in love with’ that day. And that it was just something simple, her smile, that did it for him. He didn’t say it in a joking kind of way, and he didn’t make the words ‘falling in love’ mean any less just because it was something that ‘happened every day’. He recognized that although he allowed himself to do it each day, it wasn’t something that necessarily always happened, and that when it did, or when he found something special about someone, it was still that—special.

I think about it now…years later…and in a much happier place in my life. I believe he is describing the process of allowing ourselves to be more accepting, and to use our hearts more. We should find more reasons to love the people we surround ourselves with and that we meet. It might not be someone that you know very well, and it might not even be someone you will ever see again. It’s just that ability to see that there is something special about each and every one of us. And that there’s a part of them that you can love.

Thanks for the lesson Tyson. You are far wiser than your age.

Tyson and I circa 2001...I think the week that we graduated from college
Hands off ladies…he is happily engaged now!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my heavens...this is just exceptional, truly! If we all find in ourselves, the opportunity to look upon the beauty of a person, we may not be so likely to be consumed by the bad. Well said, and heartfelt. May Tyson know that his words have extended their reach beyond that conversation. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete