Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Kindness of the Twitterverse

Sometimes, people surprise you. In the same way that sometimes friends may disappoint you, sometimes, people will surprise you. Even strangers.

I've recently been spending a lot of time thinking about Twitter. This site that allows you to throw your random thoughts and feelings out into the world. Unlike Facebook, if your profile isn't protected, anyone out in the Twitterverse can 'follow' you. Anyone can read your updates. And slowly, they become invested in your life. At the same time, you begin following people. People you don't know. And yes, you slowly become invested in their lives.

I've made some awesome friends on Twitter. People that I barely know--some that I have never met. For one reason or another, your lives have been intertwined, and you've been brought into each other's lives for a reason.

These strangers. They are my sounding board. They are my support group. They are my people. I've been blown away more than once, about the things they've said or the things they've done to support me. I am so thankful to have these people in my life.

And the odd part? I don't even know if I want to meet these strangers. Maybe it's better to just have these people indirectly involved in my life. I'm not sure yet. What's stopping these people from being my 'real friends'?

In the meantime? I'm determined to give back some of this good Twitter karma I've been on the receiving end of. Why not pass it forward and keep the love flowing?

No comments:

Post a Comment