Monday, March 16, 2009

Clothes Horse

I'm not much of a clothes horse. Totally not into labels, designers, the latest trends. I have my own style, but I don't think it fits into any one category.

But one of my favorite things to do is to pick up unique pieces of clothing or accessories when I travel. As I was getting ready to go to work a few mornings ago, a smile came across my face as the top I was wearing brought me back to a specific place in time. I was immediately in Denver, in that small boutique I had ducked into for a second in between meetings.

It got me thinking. Some of my favorite items in my closet have made the trek home with me from various locations from around the globe. The red dress from Paris, the sweater from Hong Kong, the comfy cotton t-shirts and tank tops from Australia, that orange jacket from the sample sale in New York, the Matt and Nat purse from Chicago, the necklace from Seattle, the earrings from Portland...

I guess clothes are now joining the ranks of food and scent as a vehicle to travel back into time.

3 comments:

  1. I accidentally washed and shrank that black dress I got from Cotton On in Melbourne that I wore to breakfast our last day and loved.:( Still sad about that and the ring that flew into the toilet in Sydney. My two favorite purchases on that trip. But, you're right about the comfy Ts sweatshirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes if I need essentials like jeans,t-shirts, or socks (books, too) I'll buy them on vacation so they also count as souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny. And thanks for those that commented on my FB page. Yes, my college free Aggie Pack t-shirts are also an important part of my wardrobe...

    And yes! Books are a frequent souvenir for me too!

    ReplyDelete