Saturday, August 1, 2009

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out

Poor Ralphie. Now I know how he feels.

I’ve been thinking about getting a scooter for some time now. And have always wanted to zip around the city. I know that there are dangers associated with riding a scooter. And I know that if I plan to drive one, I need to be careful. But little did I know that the immediate reaction for so many people the second they heard I was going to get a scooter would be “Oh my god. Be careful.”

Who did they think I was? Some irresponsible kid? Yes. I will get motorcycle safe shoes, jacket and gloves. No. I won’t wear open toed shoes when I’m riding. And umm, no. I won’t be drinking and driving. Thank you very much. Safety classes? Yes. I’ll definitely sign up for that. Insurance, driving permit. Of course!

I know many of my friends and family members are all concerned for my well being. I appreciate it. And I love them all for it. But I am not just jumping into this. I’ve done my research. And I’m going to do it right. I’m going to take the right steps and take every precaution. I’m not rushing into anything and hoping on the scooter before I’m ready.

I want this to be a good experience. I want my little scooter to change my life—to make things easier for me, to make grocery shopping and every day errands a little bit easier, to minimize the amount of time it takes me to get from one neighborhood to another and maybe to save some money on cab fare. I’m not going to do anything to jeopardize this!

In the meantime, I hope my experience turns out a little bit better than Ralphie’s…because as the loyal fans will remember, he did shoot his eye “out”.

No comments:

Post a Comment