Monday, July 6, 2009

Last Supper: Postrio

I don't even know where to begin or what to say. I've seen restaurants all around town and all around the country closing, but I never really thought a restaurant that was so significant to the San Francisco food scene would close, a restaurant that was so close to my heart. I never thought I would have a Last Supper at Postrio. I wrote about the significance of the restaurant the week it closed here. But what I didn't get into was my last supper there.

How different these two photos are. One, on the second to last night of dinner service, there are literally 'too many cooks in the kitchen', and the next? The night of the employee party just a few days later? No cooks in the kitchen at all.

I can't even describe the atmosphere in the restaurant the night before the last meal before the restaurant closed. It was upbeat and celebratory, and you could feel the love in the air. Everyone in the room was there to support the restaurant. Everyone was there reminiscing about old times, old meals, old stories.

When we sat down, the left side of the menu was filled with quotes:

"Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would, I'd never leave." A.A. Milne

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Suess

"Some people come into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same." Flavia Weedn

"Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos." Charles M. Schulz

It was a nice touch. The funniest thing? In reference to that last quote from Charles Schulz, the restaurant did manage to gather many of the past chefs for two special nights. The menu was also a throw-back, featuring the best sellers of the restaurant through the years. It was fun to see some of these old favorites and classic dishes back on the menu.



Two of the highlights of the night: mushroom risotto and Chinese duck

Our table also indulged in a number of other dishes. Click here to see the entire photo album from the night. Yes, I'm a sentimental person. I have to admit, I teared up when I first started reading the quotes in the menu. It was an incredibly special evening. A night that will forever be in my heart. There's no other restaurant that has such a significant meaning to me and I'm thankful for the time I've spent there, and also for all of the wonderful people I've met through my experiences there.

No comments:

Post a Comment