Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pay It Forward

I don’t watch a lot of movies. But one of the movies I have seen is “Pay It Forward”. And it had a huge impact on me. We should do nice things for people more often. And sometimes, I forget this. This has recently changed. Sad, but through Twitter, I was reminded of this again recently. I’ve experienced a few instances where complete strangers have done nice things for me. In each case, it caught my by surprise. And the kindness of these strangers left me speechless. People that I had never met and really didn’t know were out there doing nice things for me. With no strings attached.

And so recently, when I had the chance, I paid it forward. And yes. It was also through Twitter. It was someone I had been following, but didn’t know. He was moving, needed moving boxes, and had posted a comment about how expensive moving boxes were. So I offered my boxes. The ones that just a short week ago had carried all of my most prized possessions into my new home were now sitting folded up in my storage unit. It was such a simple act. But it helped him. After all, just a short time ago, I was in his shoes. In desperate need of boxes and scrounging all around to gather enough to move those cookbooks of mine.

I hope I was able to help him. And to make a difference in his day. I can’t help but stand on my soap box and wonder, if we all did something nice for the strangers around us, wouldn’t the world be a better place?

No comments:

Post a Comment