Saturday, October 17, 2009

Kindred Spirits

What does it mean to be kindred spirits? Here’s one example of what it means to me…

I was recently at dinner with some good friends, and friends of theirs. I had only met these people once, and really didn’t know them.

We talked about an upcoming trip to New York I had planned. What was the first thing out of the mouth of one of their friends? It wasn’t “Oh, what are you doing out there?” Or not even “What are your plans while out there?” Instead? It was, “New York? Oh! Are you getting your restaurant list together?

Our conversation continued. It wasn’t “Which sites are you going to see?” And not “What are you most excited about?”

But rather…”Which is better for late night? Blue Ribbon or Spotted Pig?” And “Were you able to get a resy at KO?”

These people were excited when I rattled off my list of Brooklyn hot spots, and even more excited when I told them the weekend we were out there happened to be the Manhattan Cocktail Classic weekend!

The world continues to be food obsessed. But it’s not always a genuine love nor interest. But there are times when you meet people like you. People like Eric and Brandon. That’s when you know. That there are people who can share my same enthusiasm and my same passion. These kindred spirits are the types of friends that have found their way into my life. I’m a pretty lucky gal to have so many kindred spirits out there in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment