Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New York City Green Market

I was in New York recently, and had about an hour to duck off to the Green Market in Union Square. It was an interesting experience to see what was in season on the East Coast, and to experience a New York City Farmer's Market.

I immediately noticed a ton of ramps. Ramps ramps ramps. They were beautiful. And there were plenty of them!



Apples! Apples were still around. That was a surprise to me...feels like it's been awhile since I'd seen them out here in San Francisco. But they were beautiful. And made me really want to make an apple pie.



And then asparagus was starting to make it's appearance. What I loved, was this farm's display:



South Jersey Asparagus?? Hmm. Something about that just doesn't feel right to me. I'm use to Cali grown asparagus, thank you very much!

No matter what city I'm in, or what season it is, I like checking out the local Farmer's Market. I love seeing what produce is available, talking to the local customers, meeting the regional farmers, and seeing what local producers are there.

However. After all is said and done, with the exception of maybe the Portland Farmer's Market, I tend to prefer my market here in San Francisco. Partly because I'm comfortable with it, I know the lay-out, I know the vendors, I know who's got the best Meyer lemons, who's got the best strawberries, etc. etc. And I've got all of my food vendors that I'm use to (the Green Market had NO coffee, can you believe that? My SF'ers, I was craving my Blue Bottle!) And on top of it all? My friends. Constantly running into friends, old and new. It's one of my favorite things about the market.

I guess when it's all said and one. There's no place like home!

No comments:

Post a Comment