Thursday, April 9, 2009

Meal of the Month: March

I think I might have outdone myself in March. Meal after meal, the next one out did the last. And meal after meal, I enjoyed delicious food with friends.

From checking out Nopalito with friends Jim, Troy, Jordan and Vanessa (I can’t stop thinking about the carnitas!), to lots and lots of sushi with Katharine and Steven…

I shared nibbles at the bar at Postrio with two dear friends, Vanessa and Christy (can I say, two of my favorite people in the world?) and I giggled lots with Defne on a Friday night over tapas at Zarzuela…

I slurped up a bowl of ramen with my friend Tim…and ate yummy fried chicken at the famous Max’s in Daly City with Wendy and Mark…ate a yummy dinner at Five Happiness with my family…

Ramen at Katana-ya, mine was so good!

Brunch at Incanto (yuuuummmm, milk toast…I want it every Sunday now!) and Universal CafĂ© with my friend Jason on a rainy/misty Sunday…

And speaking of Sundays…Sunday night meals? BerettaNopa- the shaved asparagus salad with bacon, kumquats (YES! Kumquats!) and a poached egg is perfection!

Yummy food at Poleng Lounge with some new friends…checked out Charles Pham's new Heaven’s Dog with friends Nancy and Celia…

Chicken two way at Poleng Lounge...could eat this every day!

Indulged in an amazing dinner at Quince (dining with the wife of the chef has it’s perks my friends!)…

Was adventurous and ate an incredible Head to Tail dinner at Incanto (decided I loved this year’s meal better than last year’s)…

The perfect end to our Head to Tail dinner--doughnut with chocolate and liver and a blood and espresso shot! (with a shot of sake!)

Ate an early dinner al fresco at Pizzeria Delfina…a filling Sat morning breakfast at the Farmer’s Market…


Ate a home cooked meal prepared by my friend Michelle, in honor of our friend’s one night off from her fabulous new restaurant…

And FINALLY checked out ice cream at Humphrey Slocomb (yes, I considered that a meal!)

Not the flavor I got, but the flavor I WISHED I got!

So how, do you ask, are NONE of these amazing meals my meal of the month? Impossible, right? Nope. My meal of the month was a special preview dinner at midi.

A beautiful space, midi is located downtown in the Financial District. What made this meal so special? First, it was long in the making. Second, the chef at the helm? A dear friend of mine, and a very talented chef. Third? The industry came out to support her. Let me explain.

Chef Michelle Mah is young. Talented. Adorable. She has been waiting a long time for her restaurant to finish construction and to open. And through it all, her friends have been there with her every step of the way. Waiting for updates, progress, an open date.

And then one week in March? It happened. The restaurant was ready. And it was going to open later that week. But first? First, Michelle was going to cook for the people that had been there by her side. She was going to cook us a special dinner. It was a Sunday evening. And while the streets of downtown were empty and quiet, we gathered. Chefs that Michelle had cooked with before. Old general managers she had worked with. All friends.

It was an amazing group of people that gathered. Some were old friends. Some were strangers. But we all had one thing in common. We were excited, proud, and happy. We were there to support Michelle. Oh. And we were there to eat!

We started with nibbles in the bar...and then moved upstairs to a family style feast. Mussels, an amazing asparagus salad, a yummy fish, braised lamb, a delicious duck confit...

Each dish was amazing. And my notes are so poor because I meant to grab the menu for the night on the way out (but by then had too much wine to remember!) We all ohhh'ed, and ahhh'ed when each dish came out. And when Michelle came up with the last course? We all clapped and toasted her.

It was one of those magical nights. A night when I remember why I love this business so much. We were all there to support one of our own. It didn't matter where anyone cooked or worked, or what they did now, or how they knew Michelle. All that mattered was that we all did know her. And loved her. And wanted to see her succeed.

The night ended with the 'lighting up' of the midi sign outside, and with all of us gathered outside toasting to the restaurant's opening. Here's to many more delicious meals at midi!

No comments:

Post a Comment