Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Meal of the Month: February 2009

February was kind of a hard month for me--emotionally. I was still getting over the holidays and the horribly rainy weather was not making it any easier. Spent a lot of time in Pilates and at home by myself. But what else? I spent a lot of time with my friends.

I had a great catch up night with my friend Jason (which included a delicious carbonara pizza from Pizzeria Delfina.) There was an awesome night of ramen and cupcake baking with my friend Wendy (ahem, we baked DOZENS of cupcakes in one night!)





There was a simple night of nibbles with my friend Vanessa (at Beretta of course.) My LA visitor loved it! A fun night with old college friends, Bahram and John (and Justy!) We had pre-dinner drinks at my house (can anyone say negroni?), and then a delicious dinner at Incanto. We had the MOST delicious pig snouts. And amazing prosciutto--who knew pig thigh could be so good?

My friend Tatiana made me the most delicious dinner one chilly night. Ossabaw ham wrapped asparagus, dandelion greens with lardons, chicken (confit in duck fat!), and braised cabbage (with guanciale just for good measure). Oh so good. Can anyone say comfort food?? There was the cozy Sunday night with Chinese take-out (and Humphy Slocombe ice cream) and a good friend (and a bad Lifetime movie.) Then the rainy night meal at Barbacco with old friends Lil and Micah. Highlights for me? The nduja and egg, and the delicious Brussels sprouts.



There were MANY additional good meals at Incanto. Checking out the new decor with my friend Paolo, taking my friends Joe and Lil, and then my good friend from college who was in town. Denise, Jen and I had a great evening there. Thank you to Chris and his team for SO many good and comforting meals. Highlights? Asparagus salad. The strozzapreti, broccoli rabe pesto, ricotta & pinenuts. SO GOOD. The stinging nettle and chanterelle risotto was also yummy. And the duck leg. Served with greens and faro--yum.




There was no shortage of home cooked meals. Home made won-tons for my friend Lisa. A dinner party where I made my mom's delicious stew with my friends Jen, Troy, Michael, Robert, Lisa and Jonathan. Thanks for all the wine kids--and the yummy chocolate cake!! Then there was the yummy roasted chicken dinner with Tim and Lisa, and a fun night out with those two (which ended in a late night Tommy's Joynt snack.)



There were the nibbles at the Ferry Building during the annual Food from the Heart event. And a Chinese New Year meal with my family. I remembered once again why I love my great aunt so much all while realizing just how much I missed my mom. Those family moments are especially difficult without her.



My very good friends Sarah and Evan kept me sane all month long. And are such a good support system for me. Evan and I have our Saturday Farmer's Market routine (and it's always so much more fun when Sarah can join us!) and then we have our Sunday night catch up times. From the casual and yet amazing pasta dinner at their house, to finally seeing Avatar and then dinner at Nopa. Of all of the times I've had the flat bread there? This time was the best! Just perfect--not too soft, not too crispy. Everything else was absolutely perfect. The salt cod brandade with marinated artichokes were my favorite.

But what really got me through the month? My good girlfriends. So what would my Meal of the Month be? Well, it would have to be all of the great meals I shared with my gals, Defne and Lisa. It all started with a night at Nombe (and then Lazlo), that solidified the bond. Maybe we need to learn to say "no more sake". Then there was a fun dinner at Tuba (after a long afternoon at Zeigeist, and oh, a bottle of tequila.) A mid week night out at Yoshi's where we ate EVERYTHING on the menu, and it was ALL delicious. Umm, can we say bar snacks?? SO GOOD. And then the night that started off with drinks at Bar Drake, and then Fifth Floor, and then ended at a fun night at Uva. What can I say? I don't know if I would have made it through the month without these ladies. They make every meal I share with them a Meal of the Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment