Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Comfort of Food...and a Sister

It must be the weather. Or the time of year. Or just the mood I'm in. But I've been down. And in some serious need for comfort.

My sister and I have both been busy at work. And now that we don't have the luxury of living blocks from each other, seeing each other can be a bit more difficult. On a recent Sat when neither of us had plans, we decided to get together and to make the trek to the inner Sunset for some noodles and dumplings. It was just what I needed.

It ended up not being a horribly rainy day, but there was still enough of a chill in the air that we were both excited for some noodles, soup, and dumplings. We ended up at San Tung where in addition to all of that, we ate a plate of their famous dried fried chicken. So good!

As we sat there slurping up noodles, piercing the skins of the steamy dumplings and licking our fingers of the sweet sauce from the chicken, we talked and caught up. We talked about our recent work stresses and unhappiness. Upcoming trips we had planned. Our friends. Our dad. For a few hours that day, my sister and I were brought back to the comforting foods of our childhood and it almost felt like time stood still while we caught up.

After lunch, we ended up walking around some of the Chinese shops and grocery stores. And I was reminded that there is NO ONE out there that knows me like my sister. So many things that just come as second nature to us, things that are familiar to just the two of us from our childhoods, things that she knows I like, and things I know she likes.

It was a much needed afternoon outing. The good food was what my stomach needed and the good company what my heart needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment